- The fun begins on April 30, 2017 and will conclude on June 10, 2017.
- Information Sessions will be held in each Town. A limited number of free pedometers will be available at each session. See below for dates and times. You may attend any session.
Monday, April 3, 2017 6:00 pm - Rocky Hill, Community Center, Activity Room 1
Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:00 pm - Wethersfield, Pitkin Community Center, Fireside Room
Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:00 pm - Berlin, McGee Midle School, Berlin
Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:00 pm - Newington, Lucy Robbins Welles Library
- Registration begins on April 17, 2017 and will be available on Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield’s Walking Works website (www.walkingworks.com), or through the “WalkingWorks” mobile app, to take part in the competition. Click here for Walking Works Registration Instructions
- All participants will wear a pedometer or utilize the tracking device of choice during the 6-week program to count daily steps. Steps count toward the town where you work or live.
- This competition is open to all ages – children and families are encouraged to participate!
How It Works:
- Each participant must register at walkingworks.com or on the Walking Works mobile app. If you are not registered, your steps will not count.
- Registered participants should sign-up to be on their town’s team. Participants can organize teams with family, friends or coworkers, but steps will be tracked by town only.
- Each town has a contact person for the competition. If you have questions, please contact the person listed for your town:
- You may be contacted via email by your town contact person or by Central Connecticut Health District staff about the competition. Your email or personal information will not be shared outside the purposes of the walking competition.
What You Need to Know:
- Steps must be entered weekly into the tracking program by Sunday of each week (May 7, May 14, May 21, May 28, June 4 and June 11) to count toward the competition. Click here for Walking Works Registration Instructions
- Updates will be provided weekly noon on Fridays (May 5, May 12, May 19, May 26, June 2 & June 9), giving the other towns a chance to Step-It Up the following week.
- Winners will be announced at an Awards Ceremony on Thursday, June 29, 2017 (rain date, Wednesday, July 5, 2017) at the “Summer Concert Series” at the Rocky Hill Elm Ridge Park Amphitheatre.
- Honorable mention awards will be given for the town with the highest total miles logged, and the town with greatest number of participants.
- Prizes will be awarded to the individual with highest number of steps/miles in each town and the individual with highest number of steps overall.
- The TOWN with the highest average steps per participant will be declared the winner of the competition and gain bragging rights with the 2017 Highest Stepper Trophy, currently held by Berlin!